I think the one thing that made me believe that I could end my addiction to dairy was learning how to make plant-based cheeses on my own. Honestly, the processed store-bought versions are full of words of questionable pronunciation, and taste terrible. As my husband say, “Even if you squint your eyes and tilt your head…It doesn’t taste the same.”
The key is to find alternatives that are delicious in their own right. This may be called a ricotta. I can’t guarantee it’ll taste exactly like a conventional, cow dairy based ricotta… But what I can say is that it is a delicious alternative in it’s own regards.
I tweaked this recipe for a creamy texture that doesn’t require being set over night. You’re welcome to wrap it in cheese cloth and refrigerate over night, but if you’re a busy mom like me… Try this out! I hope you enjoy.
Cashew Ricotta (Vegan/Paleo/Gluten Free)
- 2 Cups Raw Cashews, Soaked Overnight
- 4 Tablespoons Lemon Juice (You can sub rice vinegar if you’re out of lemons.)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper (Optional)
- Water (As needed.)
- Add all of the ingredients into a blender.
- You may need to scrape down the sides. Add water a tablespoon at a time if needed.
- When the mixture is creamy it is down.
- All this to set in the fridge for a minimum of an hour. If you want to you can place this mixture in cheese cloth, and suspend over a bowl for a thicker mixture. Put it in the fridge overnight.
- Use this mixture for lasagna or manicotti.